Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Moving


My room is empty. Really empty. As in it has an echo empty. I haven't seen it that way since I first moved into it as a kid, when I outgrew the small room my brother and I shared. It's kind of sad. And it's the one thing that keeps reminding me that this move is different from the others.
I've become used to packing up and leaving. I've also become used to moving back home. So when I think about pulling away from my house tomorrow and driving to Long Island, I don't feel much. But I keep walking into my room as a matter of habit, wanting to plop on my bed, to watch the ceiling fan swirl until I fall asleep, to hear the cuckoo clocks ticking in the hallway. Except my room is in a U-haul in the driveway.

2 comments:

LeahC said...

oh so sad!! I know that feeling. last summer my dad and stepmom moved onto their boat and away from chicago so I had to go through and get rid or find somewhere to store ALL my childhood crap. It was sad to go through all my stuff and see my room empty at the end of the day. AND i only lived in that house for like 5 years....must be hard cause it sounds like you lived there a long time. Good Luck in Long Island!!!

Abbey said...

OK, so I'm at work crying because I just read your blog. I remember doing the same thing last year :(
I'm glad you're having an easier time than I did. I think I cried for 7 of the 10 hour drive to NJ.
I can't wait to see you though...and hopefully being within 2 hours of me will make it even better :)