Friday, June 02, 2006

I'm here

I'm exhausted, but I'm here and it feels good. My dad and I left SCS yesterday with not such a great start. Just 10 minutes on I-94, I looked at the back of our rental trailer and saw the door slowly creeping up. I frantically called my dad's cell phone as I watched one of my wicker baskets filled with bedding bob back and forth. But too late. Just as my dad pulled to the shoulder, the basket flew onto the freeway, shattering, and I ran over my own sheets along with the many other cars in rush-hour traffic behind me. My dad was able to recover two of the sheets, but we lost one. It was pretty much smooth sailing after that. Pennsylvania was just as long, if not longer, as I remembered, and we drove through a strong thunderstorm that followed us to New York. But we made it.
I really like my apartment. It's not fancy or anything, and it's not that big compared to other places, but it seems huge to me. I like having my own space, that is, my own space that's not one room or that I have to share with a crazy roommate. My apartment is in a small complex in Port Jefferson, which is a village on the north shore of Long Island. I'm really close to the downtown area of the village, where there are restaurants, cute stores, bars and the waterfront. (Hence the name "port.") From here you can take a ferry to Connecticut or a train to NYC.
And I don't think I mentioned this before, but I really owe a lot to Abbey for finding this place for me. She's been such a great friend these last couple months (not that she hasn't been for many, many years). She drove out here from New Jersey twice to apartment hunt for me, plus she helped my dad and I unpack last night along with Adam and Mason. It's so comforting to know that friends are around.
My dad and I have been super busy today, buying carpet and kitchen supplies and most importantly for the moment, an air conditioner. It is really hot and humid. Tomorrow we hit up Ikea.

No comments: