Sunday, June 11, 2006

My NY mom

Carolyn, who I worked with in Switzerland, is originally from Rocky Point, an L.I. town close to my apartment. So when I first found out I'd be moving here, she gave me all kinds of advice about where to live, what beaches to go to, and what places to eat at, along with the phone number for her mom. It's so helpful to have a native show you around a new area, and that's exactly what Carolyn's mom, Gloria, did today. We went to McNulty's, a privately owned, homemade ice cream shop that reminds me of Wally's at home. Then we walked around Cedar beach, which is on the sound. It was a beautiful, sunny day here, although really windy. Afterward, we drove to downtown Port Jefferson and walked around the waterfront and browsed around in some of the stores. It's really comforting to know that there's someone in the area to turn to if I need help. So, thanks, Carolyn, for letting me borrow your mom for the day. And if you ever move to the St. Pete area for any reason, I'll let you borrow mine.

No comments: