Monday, May 08, 2006

Cancelled


Unfortunately, I can’t share any photos of Venice with you. This is because I didn’t make it there this weekend like I had planned. Tickets in hand, hotel reservation made, I took the bus downtown prepared to spend the night on the train and wake up in Italy. But because of some sort of rail strike, according to one of the ticket counter cashiers, my train and all other trains to Italy were cancelled. I’m still being charged for my hotel room because I didn’t give them three day’s notice that I was canceling. And even more upsetting, Venice is one of the cities I REALLY wanted to see and now my time here has run out. I’ll just have to make sure I visit again. My mom and I talked about planning a family trip to Italy for my parent’s 35th anniversary, which is only a little more than three years away. I know they would love that country, too, especially my mom, who’s half Italian, and my brother, who wishes he were half Italian.
So with no cruises down the Grand Canal or visits to St. Mark’s Square, how did I fill my weekend? Not with very much, especially since it rained almost nonstop. I did, however, do some serious shopping for Swiss souvenirs. My stockpile of chocolate to pass out to friends and family back home is now officially ridiculously huge. (See photo). I’m just not sure how I’m going to pack it all.

No comments: