Thursday, May 04, 2006

Homesick

I’m ready to go home. I don’t like to say it much because it sounds like I’m ungrateful for the time I’ve spent here. But it’s true. Living in a foreign country is a lot different than just vacationing. You get a real taste of the culture and the people because you do your best to blend in. It’s exciting, but it can also be exhausting and lonely. I know in a couple weeks, probably even days after I return, I’ll be able to look back at the last three months and really appreciate everything that I’ve seen and done. It’s unfortunate that it takes hindsight for this realization to kick in. And I still have a great trip to Venice planned for this weekend. But c’est la vie. When I walk back to my apartment after work I see planes taking off from the airport in the distance and I think about how many days I have until I’m on one of them, flying away. Eleven.

No comments: