Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Turkeyless

It’s the third Wednesday in November. That time of the year when airports are packed, Jones Soda releases its line of disgusting flavors (eww, Brussel sprouts) and I get asked the same question over and over: “What do you eat for Thanksgiving?”
It’s always somewhat annoyed me, mostly because there’s not one answer. Yes, I’m a vegetarian. Therefore, no, I don’t eat turkey. But unlike the average American family, with their gravy, cranberries and stuffed bird, my family does it a little bit different every year. One Thanksgiving, my mom cooked spinach pie. On another, we ate at an Italian restaurant in Key West. Sometimes, it’s just everything but the gobbler.
We don’t have a tradition to replace the turkey, but that doesn’t mean the food doesn’t taste as good or that we’re going to melt away from food deprivation. (Believe me, we can eat.)
So now that you know, grant me one Thanksgiving wish: please don’t ask.

No comments: