Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Holiday update

So here's a bite-sized recap of my Thanksgiving weekend:
Thursday: Got on the road early with hopes of getting into town around noon. No one travels on the actual holiday, it's all the night before, right? Wrong. Traffic was really heavy. But that was probably because most of Michigan was hit with the first big snowfall of the year, which automatically decreases the speed limit on the highway from 70 mph to about 30. The result was about three extra hours spent sitting in my car. Is it spring yet?
Dinner that night was great, however. I ate at my aunt's house and got to see my cousin's baby for the first time. He's adorable.
Friday: I went grocery shopping for my dad, who for the first time in many decades isn't living with my mom. She recently opened up her own store in Florida and he's staying up north until our house is sold and he decides what to do with his music store. It could be a while and let's just say that housekeeping isn't his forte. That night, we went to a Pistons game, my first. It was a good game until the very end, when we lost in double overtime. I hate when that happens. It feels like such a waste of time.
Saturday: Saw RENT, the movie, with Amy. Being equally fanatical about the musical, we decided we had to see the film version together. So we mapped out the miles between East Lansing and St. Clair Shores and met at a movie theater in the middle, in Brighton. It was a pretty good adaption. Didn't quite meet the standards of the movie, but I didn't expect it to. All of the actors except two were from Broadway, so they actually could sing and it was cool to see them up close. Later, I went to Big Boy with Abbey, Adam and Ashley for desert. It's not the hot hangout I remember it as. At 11 p.m. on a Saturday night there were maybe three other tables of people, mostly old men sipping their coffee.
Sunday: Went to lunch with the newly engaged Lindsay and Trep and then headed back home. Once again, traffic was bad, but not because of snow this time. I was just part of the mass exodus back to the city after a long weekend of good food, friends and family.

1 comment:

Abbey said...

Hey Kendra,
It was great to see you again. Can't wait to see you after the holiday. Enjoy Florida and tell your fam hello. There's a good chance that Adam and I may be going to the NJ Nets game tonight b/c they're playing the Pistons. Too bad I don't have an Pistons apparel to wear! Anyways hope all is well. Miss you
~Abbey