Monday, April 10, 2006

Berner Oberland

All I have to say is “wow.” Well, that’s not really it, but you get the idea. The mountains in the Berner Oberland really are spectacular. I’ve been told it’s a must-see both by my great-Aunt Marge and Uncle Emil and my friend Skippy. They were definitely right.
I took the train from Geneva to Interlaken on Saturday. From there I took a smaller, private train to Lauterbrunnen and then hopped on this kind-of scary track car that climbs up a hill at about a 45-degree angle. I just kept wondering what was keeping the thing from careening back downhill. From there, I took another smaller train to the town of Murren. Murren is beyond cute. It’s basically one huge ski resort, with cozy, Swiss looking hotels and gear shops lining the streets. No cars are allowed there, or maybe there’s just no way for them to reach it. I’m pretty sure that you can be anywhere in Murren and have an equally beautiful view of the surrounding mountains. I walked across town and took a cable car up to Brig, on what was both an exhilarating and scary ride. Every time the car passed a support post, it rocked back in forth like a Ferris wheel cart does when it stops. That was definitely enough to break me out of my awe with the scenery, at least for a few seconds. From Brig I took yet another cable car up to the Schilthorn, a mountain peak almost 10,000 feet high. I guess it’s famous for serving as the movie set for the old James Bond movie, “On her Majesty’s Secret Service.” The cable cars even had 007 printed on them. The Schilthorn also has a revolving restaurant, a gift shop (of course) and an observation deck with an unbeatable view of the mountains, which are still topped with plenty of snow and ice even though it was pretty warm on the ground.
The mountains were filled with skiers, who I couldn’t believe were brave enough to actually go down the steep slopes. And in the distance you could see lots of parasailers floating by the cliffs, also a very brave and probably slightly crazy bunch. I watched some of them land later on in the middle of a park in Interlaken.
Words really don’t do justice to this trip. And unfortunately, I can’t upload my photos right now. I’ve been using my roommate’s card reader and she left for a month-long trip to Jamaica this morning and took it with her. I’ll see if I can buy one soon.

No comments: