Monday, February 13, 2006

Weekend in Geneva

I explored the city a bit this weekend.
On Saturday I took the bus into Geneva, about a 20-minute ride from my apartment. Like many European cities, mass transit here really is easy. I walked around the streets near the main bus station for a while before heading down to the waterfront. It’s really unlike any other city I’ve been in. The buildings are old and stately, designer stores line many of the streets and there’s even a Starbucks (jam-packed with people, of course). But it’s surprisingly quiet. Most stores close their doors in the early evening on Saturday and don’t open them back up until Monday. I doubt you’d find that in New York. It’s also really clean. The phone booths are spotless, hardly any litter to be seen and the water is so clear. The scenery really is nice with a river dividing the city in half and mountains looming in the background. You can also tell that Rolex and banks rule this place. You pass a watch shop or a bank at least every block.
On Sunday, I walked around the oldest part of town, which has cobblestone roads, steep hills and at least one building dating back to the 1100s. A neutral country, Switzerland wasn’t attacked during WWII and most of its buildings are original. For dinner I had cheese fondue at a restaurant that juts out into the river. The view was wonderful and so was the food.
I’ll post pictures soon.

1 comment:

Abbey said...

Hey Kendra,
Glad to hear you're getting out and seeing things on your own. I can't wait to talk to you and see photos of where you live, etc.
Miss you,
Abz