Monday, February 27, 2006

Lausanne



The photo might be deceiving. But no, I didn’t travel to Torino this weekend. I went to Lausanne (pronounced Loh-Zahn), the home of the International Olympics Committee and therefore also home to a museum and park dedicated to the games.
Lausanne is really pretty and probably would have been more beautiful if the sun was shining. Unfortunately, the clouds stuck around all day, hiding the view of the surrounding mountains. The city is only about a half hour train ride from Geneva and sits right on the lake. It’s also very hilly; I heard some people compare it to San Francisco. I’ve never been there, so I can’t be the judge on that one. However, I did my fair share of climbing cobblestone streets and stairs, especially in the city’s Old Town. I stopped by the city’s castle and cathedral, which is the biggest one in Switzerland. Interesting fact: Since the Middle Ages a watchman sits at the top of the tower and calls out the hours at night. The tradition started because the town was made of wood and would frequently burn down and the watchman would be on the lookout for the fires. Lausanne still has a watchman take the post every night.
On the way home I stopped at Manor, the local department store. They were having a sale on chocolate so I bought a lot for souvenirs. The place was jammed. I know I’ve said it before, but Swiss people really do love their chocolate.
My other adventure this weekend: laundry. Armed with coins, detergent and my French-English dictionary, I headed downstairs to my complex’s laundry room. The machines are like none I’ve ever seen. On one side of the machine are 13 options corresponding with a dial, 13. All of which have a description written in French. I tried to translate a few and finally chose the cheapest one with the temperature I wanted (40 Celsius). I open the soap bin and there are three different compartments and I have no clue which one to put my detergent in. I hope for the best, put a bit of soap in each compartment and press the start button. Luckily, ended up with what I think were clean clothes. They smell clean at least.

2 comments:

Abbey said...

Hey Tot,
Sounds like you had a good weekend. I did laundry this weekend too, luckily my instructions were in English, but there are 3 compartments on the washers we use as well. I still get confused b/c it says that you can put Laundry Detergent in the first 2 compartments (put in the first one at the beginning of the cycle, and add more when the light comes one. Very confusing. The 3rd one is for Fabric Softner, at least that's the way the ones here in the US are. Hope that helps.
Glad to hear you're doing so well. I miss you lots!
Love you,
Abbey

Mason Kincaid said...

Yep, laundry weekend here too.

You sound like you're having way too much fun though. Save some for the rest of us.