Thursday, January 19, 2006

Hold me to this

I've been thinking a lot lately about things I want to accomplish this year. Kind of like a resolution, but more like a goal with a deadline. (Labeling something as a resolution automatically sets you up for failure. i.e. the 15 pounds everyone swears off every January but never seems to lose.) So, by the end of 2006 I want to be able to say one phrase: "I've written a book." I'm not talking about a best-seller here, in fact I expect it'll be awful. I just want to get through the whole process.
Excluding any type of class paper or lab report, writing is easy and fun for me. I like the freedom and creativity spurred from writing a short story, in my journal or on this blog. But I know a book is different. It's easy to start, but takes stamina to finish. Like a marathon for the mind. So much to think about: characters, the plot, the ending, flow. You start to grow tired of the whole thing and scrap it. You doubt yourself. But I'm determined to make myself finish this year. I haven't the faintest idea what it'll be about. Will someone die? Fall in love? Battle crazy family members before shooting into outer space? Maybe. Or not. Let me know if you have any ideas and wish me luck.

1 comment:

LeahC said...

Good luck girl! (that's totally awesome!)