Thursday, October 06, 2005

Time's a changing

It looks like my whole family is relocating to Florida afterall.
After being tricked into thinking she had the spot for her new store secured, my mom faced terrible disappointment when the owners shut her out of the space last month. Well, as she would say herself, maybe some things happen for a reason. While moving my brother to Orlando this week, she found another place, much cheaper and perfectly fit for what she needs. The crazy part: She's moving in on Nov. 1. As in less than a month. I had kind of given up on her move to Florida, at least for the immediate future. I imagined coming back home from my internship in December to spend the holiday season there with my family. A comforting thought. Obviously, things look very different now. I really don't know what to expect, but I'm excited to see what happens.
I talked to my brother last night, his first night by himself in his new Orlando apartment. "I could live here for the rest of my life," he said. I'm sure he'll change his mind after a while, but for now, he's completely content with the feeling of having a place of his own and as much freedom as he can handle. He beat me there. Sure, I've got freedom. But I'd hardly call the Fermilab dorms my own place. I can't wait to get a real job so I can have that. Who knows where that will be, Florida, Michigan, or anywhere else across the nation. I guess I'm just struck at all the changes going on right now, not just in my life, but to everyone in my family. I'm scared and at the same time excited at the idea of us spread across the country. Everyone is doing what they want most, satisfying their own goals. And that's important. But at the same, I feel a sense of homesickness. Where is home for me? In a few months, I'll probably feel like there isn't one. It's like they say in Garden State: "You won't ever have that feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself... Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people that miss the same imaginary place."

1 comment:

Mason Kincaid said...

Ok, this may sound a little like something out of a yearbook, but all your comments look like blogger spam, so I thought I could add something a little more substantive.

I've got a little post-college head start on you and I think Garden State has it right. Over the next few years you'll find a whole lot of other young adults living in strange new places, eager to build new families. At some times, those friends will be the glue that keeps you happy where you are and at other times, the motivation to go to new places and try new things that you'd never have considered before.*

It's a wonderful time to be young and we have a terrific opportunity to build new families and create a new lives that we could never have imagined.


*What the heck are Abbey and I doing in New Jersey anyway?