Sunday, October 16, 2005

Sandbox lovers

One of my best friends got engaged today and I'm so excited for her.
I always knew Lindsay and Trep would get married, and when I say always, it's not that much of an exaggeration. I've been friends with Lindz since the second grade. Our brothers met in kindergarten, discovered they lived on the same street and our families have been friends ever since. We filled our summers playing kick the can and kickball, our winters spent ice skating and playing hide and go seek. The four of us really had a picture-perfect childhood. But we never let friendship get in the way of sibling taunting. One chant in particular, the start of many fights, began sometime in grade school from Lindsay's brother: "Trep and Lindsay sitting in a tree..."
For just about as long as I've known Lindsay, there's been Trep (known by some as Chris), a boy in one of Lindsay's classes who lived the next street over. That was the beginning of the game that would go on for years, and I mean years. It followed the same pattern that most childhood crushes take. Girl likes boy. Boy likes girl. Girl denies her crush because boys have cooties. Boy denies his crush because he doesn't want to make the first move. But unlike most sandbox crushes, theirs didn't fade.
By high school, it was common knowledge that Lindsay and Trep liked each other. But no one seemed to have let them in on the secret. Dances came and went without either making a move. Everyone smiled when Trep finally got the nerve to ask her to Homecoming. But it wasn't until their senior Prom that an actual relationship began. That night, they held hands as we sat by a campfire in Lindsay's backyard. Everyone sighed in relief. Years of whispering and frustration and they were finally a couple. They'd lived just a street away from each other for years, yet left for different colleges after dating for just three months. They survived. And today Trep proposed to Lindsay on a pumpkin patch, on his birthday.
Now, if that isn't a good love story, I don't know what is.
Congrats to my two great friends.

1 comment:

Abbey said...

Kendra,
I got your message last night... I'm so excited for both of them!!! Tell them congrats from me! And your blog is so cute. A pumpkin patch? That's so freakin' cute!!! Hope all is well... we'll catch up soon!
~Abz