Saturday, November 17, 2007

She's engaged!!

Abbey and I don't keep much, if anything, from each other. We usually talk AT LEAST once a day, in addition to daily gchat and email. At any point in the day, I have an idea of what she's doing (whether it's working at her desk, reading in bed, or going to the bathroom...true story) and vice versa. So keeping something this huge from her - the fact that after almost five years with Adam, he really was going to pop the question - was so, so difficult.

Adam started plotting a few months ago, asking me for some advice on the ring and the proposal itself, which, from what I hear, turned out to be perfect. To ensure that Abbey wouldn't book a babysitting gig for the special night, I asked her a while ago to come out to Long Island for a friend's party. Then, last Tuesday, Adam told her that his boss had reservations at the Rainbow Room Grill for Friday night that he couldn't keep, and wanted them to take his place. Abbey cancelled our "fake" plans for the weekend, but not without mentioning her suspicion about the real intention of the fancy dinner. Adam and I panicked a bit, thinking that she'd figured the whole thing out, but through a variety of tactics, she was back to doubting that she'd have a ring to show off at Thanksgiving. So on top of the Rockefeller Center, with a view of the Empire State Building and the city below, Abbey was shocked when a desert with the chocolate-drizzled words "Abbey, will you marry me?" was placed on her table. Of course, she said "yes."

I'm so happy for them that I don't really know what to say. My best friend, and really, the sister I never had, is getting married - getting married to a wonderful guy. I've always loved Adam. Kind, smart, fun, and so very entertaining, I know he's going to make her happy for the rest of her life. I think I'm almost as, if not equally, excited for this wedding as they are.



Congrats you two!

1 comment:

New York Notes said...

Me, too! Thanks for the quick blog post and your part in the whole plot! We were probably just as surprised as Abbey!