Monday, August 15, 2005

Nervous smile

I have a third tooth.
Actually a set of third teeth. Most people have their baby teeth, followed by their permanent teeth. I have one more level. Two mutants floating in my lower jaw. But this spring, one of them started to emerge out of my gum, right under my normal teeth.
So tomorrow, it’s coming out.
I’m a wimp when it comes to doctors, surgeries and the like. Needless to say, I’m less than thrilled to for tomorrow to come. More than anything, I’m scared about the IV. I hate needles and that will go in before I’m knocked out. I was through the same thing last year when I had my wisdom teeth out, but I’m still nervous about the ordeal.
In other news, Friday was my last day at The Detroit News. It was a really good summer. Looking back, it’s hard to believe all the stories I covered. Land disputes, rich people buying designer dogs, a family fight over a Marine’s remains, study abroad students in London during the bombings and an explosion at a chemical plant to name a few. It also was a good summer for internal news, from switching to new presses to a corporate switchup that’s bound to drastically change Detroit’s newspapers. They offered me an extension, which I would have gladly taken if it weren’t for a pre-planned trip to New Jersey and this tooth.
Butterflies in my stomach again. Wish me luck, and hope that the other floater doesn’t pop up next summer.

No comments: