Thursday, August 09, 2007

Double Dozen

My last couple birthdays have been pretty tough to handle. On Wednesday, I was surrounded by people all day, but I still felt alone. One of my bosses made a cake, my coworker made me dinner, and numerous local friends bought me drinks downtown, but with my nearest family member hundreds of miles away, I still couldn't help but feel sad, and even more so after a couple drinks. (There's a reason they're called depressants). I know, it's really just another day. But it's the one day each year that requires you to look back on your life and plan for what's ahead. And how can you really do that when half of the people you're celebrating with didn't even know you last summer. They weren't around when there were just 14 candles on your cake, or when you weren't even old enough to blow out the candles without some help from Grandpa or dad. It's times like these that I really miss my family, and not just my parents, but all of my family members. Those familiar faces have been around every year until recently and, exempting my honorary East Coast sister Abbey, there are few who can take their place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

I know how you feel ... a few weeks ago was my first birthday apart from my family. Last year I flew home on the day, and I got to see everyone. This year, my friend Sue and I went camping. It was fun, but it was still a kinda sad, lonely day.

Carolynne said...

Big hugs and happy birthday wishes from Michigan. ... =)