Monday, August 28, 2006

Life's been too normal


So here's a slightly less scary photo from Miranda's visit, just so you didn't think we really look like aliens.
On another note, I haven't had any weird encounters in a while. Things have been pretty normal. Until today. I stopped at the grocery store after work to pick up some much-needed food, among which was a head of broccoli. I thought it looked fine as I put it in the plastic produce bag. Green. Fresh. What more could you ask for from broccoli, right. Well, apparently the check-out guy felt differently. "Honey, you don't want this," he said, making one of those scrunched up little kid faces. Then he tossed the bag over his shoulder, hitting the cash register in the lane next to him. I just kind of stared and then said "OK, thanks" a bit too excitedly. I have no idea why I thanked him. I just really didn't want to offend a guy like that. Who knows what would get tossed next, or if I'd even leave the store with any food in my cart. He mumbled a couple other things before announcing the total; maybe it was an inspection of the grapes, or the lettuce. However, it was only the broccoli that got cut. I think I'll stop at the competing grocery store tomorrow and try to buy some of it there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is the weirdest story ever.

Anonymous said...

on that note, where in new york are you? are you close to me?

Anonymous said...

Long Island! My friend Ryan's girlfriend lives there and he goes there all the time. Maybe I'll hitch a ride with him sometime. I'm in Middletown, which is about 2 1/2ish hours away, so not that close. I'm about an hour from NYC though, so we could meet there for the day and chill sometime. :)